Recommendations for admission in UK: 15 tips for parents

Recommendations for admission in UK: 15 tips for parents

Recommendations for admission in UK

If you are planning your child's first independent trip abroad to a language school, most likely, you will have a number of questions. Our material will help you learn how to prepare a little traveler so that studying is a joy, and adaptation to new conditions is easy.

Why go to a summer language camp?

Learning a foreign language by directly immersing yourself in an English - speaking environment is one of the most effective ways. But it should be borne in mind that the child should be ready for such an adventure. Discuss with him both the opportunities that will open up for him during the trip (new friends, exciting activities, travel), and possible difficulties that he may face. Tell them that it's great to meet guys from different countries, but not all children have enough self- confidence to easily make new acquaintances.

Where will documents, money and valuables be stored?

It is important that the documents and valuables of the child are safe and sound throughout the trip. If the child is traveling individually, he can always leave them for storage at the school. If the trip is a group trip, the group leader usually keeps valuable things. The child should not be afraid of this - at any time he can request everything he needs. A passport and a return ticket are usually issued the day before or on the day of departure.

The optimal amount for pocket expenses is about 100 pounds per week. You can also get a bank card, with which it will be easier and more convenient to control the child's expenses and set limits.

What time will I have to get up?

Since classes in language camps usually start from 9.00-9.30, and before that time the child still needs to have breakfast, you should prepare for early getting up. It is necessary to make sure that the child has developed self-service skills, he does not forget to brush his teeth, knows how to put clothes in the closet, etc.

What will the weather be like?

The relatively warm season in the UK begins in April and lasts until about October. However, the English weather is quite changeable, and the child should take warm clothes with him on a trip - a hoodie, a jumper, closed shoes. An umbrella and a raincoat - integral accessories of the inhabitants of the Foggy Albion-will also not be superfluous.

What documents do I need to have in my hand luggage?

When leaving the country, the documents of a minor are carefully checked, so make sure that the child is with him at passport control:

• International passport with a valid visa • Invitation from a language school

• Medical insurance

• Transfer confirmation

• Notarized consent to the departure of a minor How do I stay in touch?

When a child is so far from home, it is important to always be in touch with him. The key point here is that there are always enough funds on the traveler's mobile account. In this case, the service of automatic replenishment of the balance, supported by most mobile operators, is very useful. And buying a local English SIM card by a child will help save on communication.

We also advise you to add the contacts of the school representatives to your phone book, so that in case of flight delays or other unforeseen circumstances, you can inform the receiving party in a timely manner. It will also not be superfluous to check the availability of the emergency service number in the child's phone with the head of the group, if the trip is a group, and with the school representative, if the trip is individual.

How to behave at school?

In advance, together with the child, study the rules of behavior and prohibitions established by the school, non-compliance with which entails exclusion from the program.

Prepare your child for the fact that during the trip he will be surrounded by representatives of different cultures, skin colors and religions, and that each of them should be treated with the same respect.

In any school, without exception, there are generally accepted prohibitions on smoking, the use of alcoholic beverages, narcotic substances, damage to property, fights, insults, and the like.

Who will meet you at the airport?

If the transfer service is included in the program, your child will be met at the airport by a representative of the school. He will take him to where the child will live and study. At the height of the season, a whole group of children arriving on different flights can wait for the greeter. In this case, a special waiting area with food, drinks and / or entertainment is usually allocated for arriving students.

When the transfer is not provided, there may be different options. The place and time of the meeting is agreed in advance with the host party. In this case, the child independently passes all the necessary procedures at the airport and goes to the agreed place. You must have an invitation from the school and an emergency number to contact you. If more than 30 minutes have passed, and the meeting for some reason has not yet taken place, it is worth dialing the emergency service number. You can also contact the help desk (if the meeting is scheduled at the airport) and ask for help with finding a greeter. When the level of spoken English of a child is insufficient for communication, it makes sense to prepare a sign in advance with the text of a request for help in this situation.

Is it possible to order an escort on board?

Many airlines provide flight support services for children from Primary schools under 12 years of age. This means that the company's employees take responsibility for the child, starting from the check-in procedure, during the flight itself and until the moment of handing him over to the person who meets him. It is important to note that air carriers have a limit on the number of escorts, so you need to order such a service no later than 48 hours before departure.

How to integrate into your studies?

On the first day after the arrival of new students, the school organizes a test for them to determine the level of English proficiency in order to distribute the children into groups. Children are also informed about the general rules of staying at school, instructed, told about the program and plans for the upcoming training.

Medical insurance

Every student who goes to study abroad must obtain medical insurance before traveling and have it with him during his stay in the UK. It is important to inform the school about the presence of allergies or chronic diseases in the child. Children who need to take medications during the trip must also have a prescription from the attending physician with an English translation and a medication regimen.

If it happens that a child is ill, a representative of the school and parents must know about it, who will be able to contact the insurance company and call a doctor.

What will be the nutrition?

The diet offered to a child on a trip usually directly depends on the cost of the language program - the smaller it is, the simpler the menu will be. As a rule, budget schools are limited to breakfast cereals with milk, toast with jam and the like. In a more expensive institution, children can be offered hot porridges, meat products, eggs, cheeses, sausages. For lunch and dinner, they usually offer healthy food from meat and vegetables, if children go on a full-day excursion, they are given packed lunches.

Only calmness!

Perhaps our main recommendation is not to show the child that you are very worried about how he will manage in the camp without you. Children are emotionally dependent on their parents, so your confidence and smile instill confidence in him. After all, he has a wonderful and exciting journey ahead of him, which, most likely, will be remembered for a lifetime!

Ask a question

Please fix next errors:

* - These field a required